Friday, August 24, 2012

A "Froot Loop" in a bowl of Cheerios


Last week, I received a phone call from an attorney and he said, “Hi Nancy! A friend of mine told me to look you up; and so I did… I have to tell you: You’re a mix between ‘Jennifer Lopez and Angelina Jolie with a Playboy feel’! How do I hang out with you?!?!”…  Hahahaha! He totally made my day, of course! Thank you! ;-)

You see, I find it super interesting that he described me with three names that are iconic in the entertainment business: “Jennifer Lopez”, “Angelina Jolie” and “Playboy”. It’s only obvious that I’m an entertainer; you are reading my blog right now. Why? Because either you heard about me just recently; or, you’re one of my faithful followers. You’ve laughed with me or about me in my adventures in the bail bond industry; or you have felt my heartache and disappointment in a couple of very emotional blogs that I’ve written. Either way, you’ve been and continue to be entertained. ;-)

When I was 5 years old, my parents took me to watch a theatrical play at a local school during Guatemala’s Independence Celebration week. I don’t really remember what the school play was about, but I do remember that I loved it so much and that I wished I was one of the characters on stage performing on that day too.  I carried fond memories of that school play for a couple of years, and it wasn’t until I was 7 years old, I had an opportunity to audition for my very first school play.

I went to the auditions after school, and I was determined to get a part in the play! All the kids who auditioned with me were elementary school age ranging from 7 to 12 years old. Some kids at the auditions had performed previous years; and there were also kids like me, that had no experience. I was so determined to have a great audition. I told myself, “I want to be on stage! Come on Nancy! Bring it on! You’re not shy!” (In Spanish of course, because I didn’t speak English at the time) Lol :-P

My audition went well and the teachers in charge seem pleased with my performance. My mom was waiting for me outside the classroom and I couldn’t wait to come back to school the following day to check the bulletin board and see if my name was posted there. I don’t think I slept at all on that night, I was so excited!

The following morning when I got to school, I ran to the principal’s office. I checked the bulletin board and I couldn’t stop jumping up and down because of how happy I felt when I saw my name on the list next to “leading role”. Woohoo!!! I was so proud of myself! ;-)

It wasn’t long after it was announced that I was the lead girl of the play, that other girls started being really mean to me. It was obvious that they were jealous. I remember I got pushed around a lot in the girl’s bathroom or in the hallways. My school was very small and all the kids knew each other. I got dirty looks and I’m sure there was a lot of gossiping going around about me, but I just didn’t care! The fact that I was being bullied at school motivated me even more! My mission was to show those other kids that I had what it took to be the star of the play!

We practiced every day after school, and one of my lines required me to cry. The teacher told me what she wanted me to do and so I did it, but I wasn’t really crying. It was a totally fake cry!

The day finally came! It was Showtime and I was ready! My grandmother did my hair on that day; and, as I saw myself in front of the mirror it just occurred to me, “Hmmm… I wonder if I could cry for real on stage today? I don’t want to do the little fake crying thing my teacher told me to do.”  My mind was racing with different thoughts and ideas, “How do I do it? How can I cry on the stage?”

There weren’t many things to do in Guatemala at the time, so my school play was something that the locals look forward to every year. My parents and I and the rest of my family arrived at the community center where most of the people in town were already seated. It was a full house! My dad walked with me backstage to meet with my teacher and kiss me goodbye.

The play started and I was so happy because I remembered all my lines. It was the first time I was performing in front of so many people. But, I wasn’t nervous, in fact, I was enjoying every moment of it! Finally, the time came where I was supposed to be fake crying. I remember I focused myself on the sadness of the moment. I began to speak, when all of the sudden I felt my tears coming down my face! My teacher was sitting at the side of the stage and I literality saw when her jaw dropped! She was completely shocked! I wasn’t pretending to be crying! I was crying for real!

From the stage, I was only able to see the people sitting in the first row, but the look of sadness on their faces was priceless! I told myself, “Mission accomplished!” ;-) The play had a happy ending and once it was over, all the kids’ congregated backstage until our parents showed up. All of the sudden, I saw my teacher running towards me and she gave me a big hug! “I’m so proud of you” she said. “How did you do it? How did you cry on stage? You were awesome!” Before I could answer, my dad showed up and he was smiling. Now, both my dad and my teacher began talking about how great I did during my performance.

When the other parents came backstage to pick up their kids, they stopped by to shake my dad’s hand congratulating him for my performance. Many others told me congratulations. It was a very awesome experience for me!  By the time I got back to school the following Monday; all the girls who had been mean to me before, were now my friends.  I never saw another kid give me a dirty look, or try to bully me around. It was over! You see, at seven years old, I showed the other kids at my school that I have “courage”! I was not going to be intimidated by them bullying me. I was determined to keep going and accomplished what I set myself up to do, regardless of what others thought of me!

After my first theatrical performance, I got hooked! I auditioned every single year for the school play and I always got the lead role, all the way until I was 12. I participated in all kinds of dance choreographies; I memorized and recited poems (which I hate by the way) but, I wanted to compete and win! I’m very competitive!

At 14, I wrote my very first script play. The school that I attended at the time had a yearly competition between students for creative writing. I wrote my script in one afternoon and I submitted it. About a week later, I was notified that my script had been chosen by the school officials to be performed at a national competition where my school was going to participate together with other schools. Oh man! At the time, I had to cast the kids in the play, direct the play and really make my school look good! I remember I separated all the kids in three groups, the leading kids, the extras or special appearances kids, and the kids who would help with the effects, lighting and music and stuff!  

I loved the challenge from the start! The competition between all the schools was going to be held at the national theater, in downtown Guatemala. That meant that it was going to be a huge event!  On the day of the competition and after being at the theater for many hours; the judges finally picked the top three school plays. I was super happy when they called the name of my school and I had to go on stage to represent our play. They gave out a small trophy for the second runner up school. We were only two kids now standing in the middle of the stage. My body felt numb when I heard the name of my school, indicating that we were the overall winners from a script that I wrote and directed! ;-)

When I came to live to the US, I tried out for my high school Drill Team and I made it. I danced my butt off my senior year during the Football season and state competitions! Lol!!! Definitely one of the best years of my life! Once I got married and my kids started school, I got really involved in the PTA (Parents, Teachers Association) and I’m sure by now, you wouldn’t be surprised to find out that I was in charge of my kids school “Talent Show” EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Lol! That lasted until I got divorced in 2008, because I then had to get a “paying” job! I had a job at the PTA; but, I wasn’t getting paid with money. Instead, I was getting paid by creating lasting memories for all those little kids who participated in my shows.

My daughter Rio came back from school one day last year, and she told me something that her Social Studies teacher had told her during school. She said, “Mr. Walker told our class today, that if you want to get ahead in life. You have to become a ‘Froot Loop’ in a bowl of Cheerios.” WOW!!! What a revelation! It made all the sense in the world to me!

What can I do to be the “Froot Loop” in a bowl of “many other bail bondsmen?” My creative mind went to work, overtime, after I asked myself that question! First, I had to come up with a catchy name because people couldn’t pronounce my last name. I thought about many name combinations; but, nothing resonated with me and who I am. Weeks passed by and I was getting frustrated; when a friend of mine, who I hadn’t seen in a long time found me on Facebook and sent me a message saying, “Hey Super Bond Girl!” ;-)

I’m now, a register trademark! I’m also a writer, a model, a comedian, an actress, an entrepreneur, a director, a producer, a fashion designer; and on top of that, I can bail you out of jail! (I wish I was singer too, but I can’t carry a tune, not even to save own my life! LOL) At this point, where is my competition? I HAVE NO MORE COMPETITION!!! I have become the “Froot Loop” in a bowl of Cheerios.

The late Steve Jobs said, “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” I think you’ll agree with me that Steve Jobs was pretty darn smart!  I’ve never been a follower! So, “Innovation” is the name of my game! I have been criticized and called all kinds of insults to my face or behind my back by my competition because I don’t conduct my business as “they” do!


In the book, The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho wrote, “If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” Why do I have haters in the Bail Bond business? Because I’m NOT doing what “they” want me to do!

On May 15, 2009, Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a commencement speech at USC titled, “Six Rules on How to become Successful” the rules are as follows:

1. Trust yourself
2. Break some rules
3. Don't be afraid to fail
4. Ignore the naysayers
5. Work like hell
6. Give something back

I have based my life on those same rules, with emphasis on rule #2! The other rules come natural to me! On breaking the rules Arnold Schwarzenegger said, “We have so many rules in life about everything. I say break the rules. Not the law, but break the rules. My wife has a t-shirt that says, 'Well-behaved women rarely make history.' Well, you know, I don't want to burst her bubble, but the same is true with men...

It is impossible to be a maverick or a true original if you're too well behaved and don't want to break the rules. You have to think outside the box. That's what I believe. After all, what is the point of being on this earth if all you want to do is be liked by everyone and avoid trouble?”… You see, I paid attention to the “Terminator”, and I’m currently having fun breaking the rules! ;-)

None of the things that I do are illegal (Although, I know some local cops wish that I did! LOL) I’m not hurting anyone else; but, I know I’m pissing some of my peers off! I'd rather regret the things I've done, than regret the things I didn’t do! ;-)

This is just the beginning! I’m not going to stop here! I currently have enough material to write up to three books. At this point, there are no limits to my imagination and the things that I will do. I came to the USA when I was 16 years old with absolutely nothing! I didn’t even speak English! Yet, I write my blogs in English (even though English is my second language). Why? Because I live in the greatest country in the world; and the national language here is English! I adapted to my country, not the other way around!


Little by little, I’m accomplishing all my dreams and my goals! I’m setting a great example for my children, and hopefully I can also motivate you to lose the fear and go for your dreams, whatever they might be! After all, where did I come from? I came from a little third world country in Central America named Guatemala. If I can do it, what’s stopping you from accomplishing your dreams?!

I’m going to end this blog with the lyrics of one of my favorite songs of all time!

“Twenty million other ‘white rappers’ emerge (‘bail agents’ in my case)
But no matter how many fish in the sea
It will be so empty without me.” –Eminem- Without Me ;-)



Nancy Tiscareno - Super Bond Girl


1 comment:

  1. This blog site is pretty good! How was it made . I view something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to my bookmarks . You can visit my website action bailbonds

    ReplyDelete